Milwaukee County Historical Society
- 910 N. Old World Third Street
- Saturday: 10am-2pm
- Sunday: 10am-5pm
- Photography permitted: yes
- Passport site: yes
First housed on the unused seventh floor of the Milwaukee County Courthouse, the Historical Society relocated to the architecturally significant Second Ward Savings Bank building at the intersection of Kilbourn Ave and 3rd Street in the heart of downtown Milwaukee in 1965. The Milwaukee County Historical Society research library maintains an extensive collection of manuscripts, photographs, and documents related to the history of Milwaukee County, as well as naturalization papers from the Circuit Court dating from 1835 to 1941. It is widely used by genealogist, historians, preservationists, and other researchers interested in personal, familial and architectural history, as well as by businesses researching property matters or preparing corporate histories. MCHS also houses the collection, preservation and presentation of Milwaukee County artifacts and archival materials.
The vision of the Milwaukee County Historical Society is that all residents of and visitors to Milwaukee County will connect with the history of the County and will understand its relevance and importance today and in the future. The importance of the past in developing a sense of true identity, both as individuals and as a community, the value of diversity and inclusiveness in the rich traditions of our past and potential for our future, the disciplines of excellent scholarship to ensure the validity of our messages, the mandate to ensure that our collections, exhibits, and programs become tools to educate and inspire current and future audiences, and offer a firm sense of optimism about the future of our community.